Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

78 year old suffering from chronic dry cough. Used several cough syrups, no help. Remedy ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1982
Answered : 1021 Questions
We are residents of Calcutta, India. My mother who is 78 years old suffers from chronic dry cough. Various cough syrups have been tried under medical advice but there has been no remedy. Is there any way out ?
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Bimal Desai 24 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
I would like to know if your doctors have told you the reason behind the cough. Also, have any investigations like X-ray of chest or any lab test been done for you? If yes, please upload the reports using the ‘Upload your reports’ section on the right. Till then, the following will help:
a.     She can take an inhaled bronchodilator like salbutamol along with low dose corticosteroid.
b.     Medications like codeine will also help
c.     If she can expectorate cough properly out, then its fine. Otherwise, she needs to bend forward while coughing and you need to massage her back. This will help her expectorate the phlegm.
d.     Steam inhalation twice daily will also help a lot
Awaiting your reply
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor