Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

126 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

77 years old. Have high heart rate and low blood pressure. Should I consult a cardiologist?

Answered by
Dr. Anantharamakrishnan


Practicing since :1966

Answered : 4506 Questions

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I'm 77, I presently have high heart rate for me, 90 it used to be 60
blood pressure lower than it normally is at 105/63, should I see a cardiologist ?
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 33 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic


Increasing heart rate and diminishing pressure is an indication to SEE THE DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY. You are slipping into shock

At this age, this should be investigated as HEART ATTACK or LEAKING ANEURYSM – UNLESS PROVED OTHERWISE – especially so, in the background of previous heart attack and AAA.
In suspected heart attack or leaking aneurysm, TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE – if detected early, an attack may even be aborted / the amount of damage and complications can be reduced remarkably. The most important time is the first few hours.

Better be safe than sorry - treated if a problem is found / Happy, if it turns out otherwise

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 6 hours later
thanks, went to E.R. got worked up, they put me on cumiden and diuretic Rx. will follow up with my cardiologist and primary Dr.monday
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 4 hours later

It is good to hear that basic work up had already been done.
You should follow up with the cardiologist, as advised

All the best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Myocardial infarction

doctor1 MD

my friend is male, 58 yrs. Had a heart attack 3 yrs ago and had a bypass. He had a mild heart attack last month no bypass.Today at his check up his cardio. dr. said that he has an 80% blockage in 4 artries not counting the ones bypassed 3yrs ago.These blockages are in places where there is a 75% chance that an operation would kill him, according to the dr. The dr said that my friend is a walking time bomb, gave him 6-8 months and added that stress, strain, physcial exertion could cause it to happen quicker.I know diet and exercise are very important in keeping a healthy heart.Is there ANYTHING my friend can do except wait?

doctor1 MD

Hi, My father is 63 years old. 2 days back he suffered a chest pain for a long time when he was walking for quite sometimes. He did some chest examinations and after he was shown a cardiologist he told that apart from a blockage in heart there is a small miocadial infarction.
I don't stay with him and i really don't know what is the his health condition and what is the immediate doable for him.
He is fine now. Some medicines are given. I don't understand was it a heart attack because the doctor haven't told like that.
I stay in Bangalore and is in Kolkata. Pls suggest the immediate doable and places where treatments would be good.

doctor1 MD

My father in law has had 3 heart attacks. This last one has left him with only 10 percent heart functioning. Surgery is out of the question. He has one completely blocked artery, one that is 80 percent blocked. He is being sent home with oxygen. what is the prognosis?

doctor1 MD

hi, ive been having this discomfort on my left chest, upper part of my comes and go.. and when I have it, it worries me that it might get worse. I have problem with reflux, but this still concerns me that this is something to do with my heart.. ive been to the emergency department about 2 weeks ago when I have pain right in the lower part of my ribs, I had ecg, and a blood test was carried out to make sure I had no heart attack. Can this be a problem with the arteries? I am also waiting for results of ph monitoring and manometry...please help..thank you..

doctor1 MD

I am a 66 year old woman, healthy and fit before a Sudden Cardiac Arrest this year (April) CPR and defibrillation received and was resuscitated. How long will it take for the chest/ribs to repair/recover from the procedures? Stretching and turning...

doctor1 MD

I am 77 years Diabetic type 1 since 14 years under control with Amaryl 1 mg two in morning 1 in night Blood pressure since 16 yrs under control with Lipril 5 Two Tab a day I work normally and I have no impairment Since a month I am feeling...

doctor1 MD

I'm a 27 year old male. 7 days ago I was showering and not long before drank 3 tablespoons of salt in hot water (thought it was good for sore throats, later learned you're not supposed to drink it). During the shower my heart suddenly began...