77 years old. Have high heart rate and low blood pressure. Should I consult a cardiologist?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I'm 77, I presently have high heart rate for me, 90 it used to be 60
blood pressure lower than it normally is at 105/63, should I see a cardiologist ?
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 33 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

YES

Increasing heart rate and diminishing pressure is an indication to SEE THE DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY. You are slipping into shock

At this age, this should be investigated as HEART ATTACK or LEAKING ANEURYSM – UNLESS PROVED OTHERWISE – especially so, in the background of previous heart attack and AAA.
In suspected heart attack or leaking aneurysm, TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE – if detected early, an attack may even be aborted / the amount of damage and complications can be reduced remarkably. The most important time is the first few hours.

You MUST GO THE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT - IMMEDIATELY
Better be safe than sorry - treated if a problem is found / Happy, if it turns out otherwise

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Follow up: Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 6 hours later
thanks, went to E.R. got worked up, they put me on cumiden and diuretic Rx. will follow up with my cardiologist and primary Dr.monday
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 4 hours later
Hi

It is good to hear that basic work up had already been done.
You should follow up with the cardiologist, as advised

REGARDS
All the best