Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

75 years old suffering from osteoporosis. Pimple appeared on buttock. Underlying cause?

Jun 2015
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 3337 Questions
What can a pimple or a sore on the inner buttocks cheek on a 75 year old woman indicate?
The sore is painless. She also has osteoporosis if that's important.
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 4 hours later
Hello dear...

The differential diagnosis of a pimple or a sore on the inner buttocks cheek might be:

1. Acne- due to inflamed or infected sebaceous glands in the skin.
2. Boil/ Folliculitis- caused by the infection of a hair follicle
3. Herpes genitalis
4. Ingrown hair- condition where the hair curls back or grows sideways into the skin.
5. Cyst/ abscess
6. Insect bite- eg Bedbug bite
7. Pressure sores- most probable cause based on age & physiological status
8. Contact dermatitis

And as you have mentioned that the sore is painless...the infective causes can be ruled out. will be better to consult a Dermatologist to find out the exact cause & further management.

Wishing a Good Health. Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 75 years old suffering from osteoporosis. Pimple appeared on buttock. Underlying cause? 1 hour later
I forgot to mention that she also has diabetes, but doesn't need insulin shots.

The sore is not an open sore, but more like an big boil or cyst. Could it come from
an infections she had over 30 years ago that was treated and healed?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 18 minutes later
Hello dear, thanks for your revert.

The presence of diabetic status makes an individual prone to infections/boils which tend to show characteristics of delayed healing...though the recurrence of a 30 yr old healed infection is rare...unless there is a fresh episode of trauma or infection over the same site.

Therefore, it will be better to get the blood sugar levels checked once.

If it reveals anything significant...then steps should be taken to control the blood sugar levels first.

Otherwise, the boil can be taken care of by antibiotics, analgesics & antihistamines under the guidance of a Dermatologist.

I hope this answers you to an extent. Please feel free to ask any further doubt.

Wishing a good health.

Thank You.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor