75 years old. Feeling jittery and BP is 174. Should I consult a doctor?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: hi my mom is 75 years old and she has been feeling jittery for most of today, she took her blood pressure and it read 174 should we go to the hospital? She is currently taking high blood pressure meds
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I would definitely advise you to take her to a hospital as early as possible. A BP reading of 174 is very high and it can put her at risk of developing serious medical complications. Moreover, you mention that she is already having symptoms such as jitteriness. So, please don't hesitate to get her to a hospital. She will need treatment to control the acute rise in BP as well as an adjustment of her regular BP medication.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar