Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

72 years old. Noticed black spots on back. How to get rid of this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 212 Questions
I have 3 black spots on my back. They have the texture like a scab but never had any wound for a scab to grow over it. It is almost black in color. I am 72 years old. I have some age spots but they are red. When I first felt it, it was itchy and I scratched itt. That's when I first noticed how black and almost furry it was.
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 3 hours later

Welcome to Healthcare Magic. I'm Dr. Christensen.

I understand your concerns. It's always worrisome when we find a new lump, bump or scab on our skin that can't be easily explained. Unfortunately, it's impossible to diagnose such lesions without an examination.
That said, the spots you've described here sound like they might seborrheic keratoses, which the dermatologists like to call "aging changes" of the skin. Seborrheic keratoses are benign growths, but they can look pretty scary, with colors ranging from pale XXXXXXX to jet black and a surface that can get roughened, warty or "furry XXXXXXX One of the classic characteristics of seborrheic keratoses is that they appear to be pasted onto your skin.

I suggest you see your doctor to confirm that these spots are seborrheic keratoses. They can be removed if you'd like -- freezing is the most common technique -- but seborrheic keratoses are harmless. If your lesions turn out to be something else, you and your physician can explore other treatment options.

I hope that helps, and good luck!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor