70 years old. Having heartburn and involuntary bowel movement. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Involuntary bowel movement at night male 70
Some heartburn, stomach rumbling, diarrhea now
ThIs is third incident - weeks apart
Colonoscpy done 6 mo ago all normal
Had curry for dinner with rice and salad - previous time has sand dabs
, oysters fried, salad.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for writing in

Involuntary bowel movement at this age after ingestion of contaminated food or drink should not be a concern

Instead try to avoid getting GI infections and take adequate fiber in diet

Add a probiotic twice a day for two weeks

Take sitz bath twice a day and perform sphincter physiotherapy

If this does not help go for a stool examination & if need be take an antibiotic as per the culture report

Do write back in case of doubts
Wishing you a healthy life ahead