Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

7 year old with tremor in the hands. History of seizures. Normal blood report. Advice?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 504 Questions
My 7 year old son had seizures as a child they stopped at around 3 1/2 years old (he would often have them when he was upset). He has a tremor in his hands (which I don't ever remember him not having) sometimes it is very aggressive and other times less noticable - and recently he could not get his hand to write his homework - he was trying but could not write - and more recently I received a call from the school because he had a particularly shaky morning . He had blood tests done all looked good.... what could this be and why is it getting worse.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 7 hours later

Thanks for the query

There are various causes of hand tremors, the commonest being familial tremor, in which involuntary shaking runs in the family. However, the cause for this familial tremor is unknown. Tremors can also be a side effect of some medications and can also be certain in certain metabolic disorders, like hyperthyroidism and hypoglycemia.

Rarely degenerative conditions like juvenile parkinsonism and wilson's disease can cause tremors. Certain conditions like myoclonus and a writer's cramp (dystonia) can mimic tremors.

I am sure this is a very difficult time for you. The bottom line is that I think you need to visit a pediatric neurologist who would be able to evaluate it further. Most importantly, that will help you figure out whether he has a tremor or not in the first place. A physical examination, including a complete neurological exam, can help the neurologist determine what is causing his hands to shake.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.


Dr Shiva Kumar R
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor