7 month old diagnosed with cleft palate and uvula absent. What treatment should be done?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: MY 7 MONTHS MALE BABY HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED AS CLEFT PALATE AND UVULA ABSENT . HE HAS NOT BEEN ABLE IN BREAST FEEDING RIGHT FRM BIRTH. AND FEDDING IS DONE THROUGH SPOON. SOMETIMEDS MILKS COMES OUT OF NOSE AND HE FACES PROBLEMS. KINDLY SUGGEST ME THE LINE OF TREATMENT AND FUTURE TROUBLE HE MAY FACE DUE TO SUCH ABNORMALITIES. AT PRESENT NO OTHER PROBLEM HE FACES. HE LAUGHS HE RESPONDS TO THE SOUNDS AND ALSO SAYS MA---MA. I AM A BIT WORRIED ABOUT HIS FUTURE . PLEASE PROVIDE ME GUIDELINES AS MY DOCTOR HAS SUGGESTED TO CONSULT PLASTIC SURGEON.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 37 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Since he is 7 months old, he can be shown to a Plastic, ENT or Pediatric Surgeon for surgery to close the defect in the palate. Direct examination is required to plan the repair. The lack of the Uvula should not be a problem. The separation of the nose from the mouth is important.

2. By this age certain acute airway and feeding problems have been overcome successfully and I hope that the many associated syndromes such as XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Sequence have been ruled out.

3. Children with cleft palate usually have problems related to the ear (breathing.

4. Please go ahead with the repair of the cleft palate which is usually performed as a routine surgery between the ages of 6 months to 1 year (before the development of speech).

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 15 minutes later
WILL HE BE ABLE IN SPEAKING IN FUTURE OR NOT. FURTHER WILL IT AFFECT HIS MENTAL DEVELOPMENT. AS PRESENT HE RESOPNDS TO THE SOUND VERY WELL. WHAT CARE SHOULD BE TAKEN IN FEEDING HIM. HOW MUCH THE OPERATION /REPAIR WILL COST.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank You for writing back.

1. He will be able to speak better in the future after successful surgery.

2. It will not affect his mental development.

3. Feed in an upright position. If his weight is healthy, there is no cause for worry.

4. Treatment cost varies and will be upwards of a minimum of 10-15,000 on wards depending upon due the of institution and room. You may inquire at some of the Treatment Centers in Lucknow:

PG-DPS
Post Graduate Dept. of Plastic Surgery
(Formerly KG Medical College)
Lucknow 0000 XXXXXXX Pradesh
Tel: 0522-0000
Cleft Surgeon: Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX Institute of Plastic Surgery
29-Shahmeena Road
Chowk
Lucknow 0000 XXXXXXX Pradesh
Tel: 0522-0000
XXXXXXX Polyclinic XXXXXXX Puri
Lucknow 0000 XXXXXXX Pradesh
Tel: 0522-0000
Cleft Surgeon: Dr. XXXXXXX Khanna

Regards.