7 month old crawls on soft surface and not willing to move on floor. Is this normal?

Dr. K. C. Pant

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: Hi,

My baby is in her 7th Month. My baby is trying to sit with out any support and sits with support longer time as well... She lifts her head turning backward. But my question is while crawling she crawls keeping her head down and lifting her back up. And also she crawls on mattress or any soft surfaces. But when kept on floor she will not even move an inch. Is this normal? And also please suggest what all I can feed her.
Answered by Dr. K. C. Pant 17 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Your question is whether your 7 months old baby is normal or not in a posture you have described.

As an expert, I do not find any abnormality in her posture and preferences in the cowling. Babies may adopt different types of posture while cowling and her preference too, soft mattress, is also normal. So do not worry there is no neurological anomaly at all and she is going normal.

As far as feeding is concerned, you start feeding porridge to her along with milk. You can give fruit juice and ready to eat cereals available in the market or prepare at home.

I hope your baby will grow well with good diet, Iron and Multivitamin drop supplementation and massage.

I hope to have answered your query. Do let me know if you have more concerns.

All the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E