Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

68 years old. Slight twitching on upper lip. Should I consult a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
Have had a slight twitch on left side of upper lip for about a week. Seems to get worse late in the day, and sometimes even feeling slight funny feeling further up my face. It comes and goes. I'm 68. My mother had a stroke at this age, and died of one by 70. Is this something I should be going to the emergency room for?
Posted Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Thanks for the query.
I understand your concern and will try to address it.
The symptoms that you describe fall under the category of Myokymia.
These are benign fasciculatory movements and not associated with any specific disease.
These typically last for a few weeeks and could involve the facial muscles.
Stress,Anxiety,lack of sleep are said to be factors 
Other causes could be
Drug overdoses like caffeine
Drug side effects like diuretics,steroids,estrogens etc
diet deficiencies of calcium or B12
Thyroid disorders can also cause these.

Get your calcium,B12 and thyroid tested.
No specific treatment is indicated.
Fasciculations with muscle weakness,or atrophy or if they are severe and long lasting need neurological examination by a neurologist.

Just wait and watch and there doesn't seem to be any need to go to ER.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor