Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

68 years old. Diabetic and on insulin. Having problem while walking. Suitable medicine to cure

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Neurologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 173 Questions
My father is 68 yr old and has problems to balance while walking. He is diabetic and on insulin support (28 units - twice every day Lantus & HumanMixtard). From a sitting posture, he cannot stand-up on his feet independently as we observe that he is unable to bring his right foot in the correct postion and apparently while trying this in the past, he has tripped over and fallen down on the ground resulting in minor head injuries as well(on the forehead). What makes it worse is that he is overweight (weighs around 90kgs) and his right hand reflexes are bad and we feel he has lost the dexterity/strength to use it in a normal way. In all incidents where he has fallen down, he couldn't use his hands to minimize the injury.

We have done many tests (sleep study, MRI scans of his brain, physiotherapy, panchakarma treatment at Ayurvaid etc...) and are following many prescription medicines and haven't see any major improvements. Since his confidence levels are low and to prevent any further damage, we are ensuring that he always has support personnel around him for walking, bathing etc....

We need your help in diagnosing his problem and provide him with a suitable medication which improves his condition.
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 9 hours later
Dear friend,

Thanks for the query.

Your father is probably suffering from peripheral neuropathy which is common in long standing diabetic patients. Diagnosis of peripheral neuropathy can be confirmed with Electromyogram (EMG) and Nerve Conduction Velocity (NCV).

Treatment of this condition is difficult, but good control of blood sugar and vitamin B12 supplementation can help a little bit. Also good physiotherapy is also advised.

Discuss about this possibility with his treating physician / neurologist.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Dr. Vineet Saggar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor