Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

66 years old. Overweight. Test showed elevated blood pressure and sugar level. Concerned

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1966
Answered : 4506 Questions
my dad is 66yro 195lbs blood pressure is 190-103 ...heart is 67..... blood sugar 171
Posted Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 58 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

There are a few problems that need attention.
HE SHOULD SEE AN INTERNIST / HE SHOULD HAVE BASIC INVESTIGATIONS – EKG, ECHOcardiogram, Renal function, Lipids and so on. HbA1c should be estimated. Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) if not a known diabetic

BLOOD PRESSURE gets the priority.
It is moderately elevated and needs immediate attention and treatment.
Several classes of drugs are there / thee are several drugs in each class.
An ARB (Angiotensin Receptor Blocker) or ACEI (Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Inhibitor) is often the first choice. Start a small dose / step up / if not controlled add another class – usually a CCB (Calcium Channel Blocker) / may be a third drug like Diuretic...

WEIGHT should be reduced. Life style modifications – diet and exercise – are the mainstay. Initially, he should see a dietician – to master the principles and practice.

SUGAR should be addressed. 171 is rather high, if it is the fasting value. Not very high, if 2 hours after food.

In general, there may be nothing to worry.
He needs to be examined / investigated / treated
He needs regular follow up.

Happy to see a good son, caring for his father...
Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor