66 years old. Overweight. Test showed elevated blood pressure and sugar level. Concerned

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: my dad is 66yro 195lbs blood pressure is 190-103 ...heart is 67..... blood sugar 171
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 58 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

There are a few problems that need attention.
HE SHOULD SEE AN INTERNIST / HE SHOULD HAVE BASIC INVESTIGATIONS – EKG, ECHOcardiogram, Renal function, Lipids and so on. HbA1c should be estimated. Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) if not a known diabetic

BLOOD PRESSURE gets the priority.
It is moderately elevated and needs immediate attention and treatment.
Several classes of drugs are there / thee are several drugs in each class.
An ARB (Angiotensin Receptor Blocker) or ACEI (Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Inhibitor) is often the first choice. Start a small dose / step up / if not controlled add another class – usually a CCB (Calcium Channel Blocker) / may be a third drug like Diuretic...

WEIGHT should be reduced. Life style modifications – diet and exercise – are the mainstay. Initially, he should see a dietician – to master the principles and practice.

SUGAR should be addressed. 171 is rather high, if it is the fasting value. Not very high, if 2 hours after food.

In general, there may be nothing to worry.
He needs to be examined / investigated / treated
He needs regular follow up.

Happy to see a good son, caring for his father...
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck