Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

65 years old. Suffering from cold. Any advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 2105 Questions
Doctor I am getting continuous colds over the past five weeks. I am 65 years old and female normally fit and healthy. I eat well and healthily and am of a slim build. Please advise.
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later
Thanks for writing to us.

Repeated attacks of cold can be allergic in origin. It can also be due to getting contaminated from an infected person. It is good that you eat good homemade food. But infection can occur even from contaminated hands. Best way to prevent contamination is to wash your hands before cooking and before eating and also after coming home from outside(market, friend's home, etc).

To treat allergic cold you can take antihistamines like Levocetrizine 5 mg daily for 5 days after getting yourself examined by your doctor.

Vitamin C helps in increasing your immunity, so try eating more foods XXXXXXX in Vitamin C like citrus fruits. Also have some regular mild exercise in fresh air daily. This will help to boost your immune system.

I hope this is useful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor