64 years old. Getting twitching sensation in upper body and limbs. What is the disease?

Dr. Piyush Ostwal

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: Of late, my husband, who is 64 years, is getting fairly intense twitches/jerks in his upper body, limbs. What coud be the problem please.
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 6 hours later
The twitches occurring suddenly in upper body and limbs could be myoclonus. Myoclonus can be present in a variety of neurological conditions. At his age myoclonus due to epilepsy is less likely.
Apart from myoclonus other disorders which could cause jerks are chorea.
All these disorders fall under the sub specialty of neurology known as movement disorders.
First you can visit a neurologist and then if required a movement disorders specialist may be consulted.
He will need tests like MRI, EEG etc to arrive at a diagnosis.
Hope this information helps you. If there are more queries, I will be happy to answer.
Good luck.