Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

64 years old. Getting twitching sensation in upper body and limbs. What is the disease?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 349 Questions
Of late, my husband, who is 64 years, is getting fairly intense twitches/jerks in his upper body, limbs. What coud be the problem please.
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 6 hours later
Thanks for the query.
The twitches occurring suddenly in upper body and limbs could be myoclonus. Myoclonus can be present in a variety of neurological conditions. At his age myoclonus due to epilepsy is less likely.
Apart from myoclonus other disorders which could cause jerks are chorea.
All these disorders fall under the sub specialty of neurology known as movement disorders.
First you can visit a neurologist and then if required a movement disorders specialist may be consulted.
He will need tests like MRI, EEG etc to arrive at a diagnosis.
Hope this information helps you. If there are more queries, I will be happy to answer.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor