Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

123 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

63 years old. Diabetic, have dental problem, sagging skin and trying to lose weight. Looking for solution

Answered by
Dr. Mayank Singh

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon

Practicing since :2003

Answered : 85 Questions

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: Hello, I am a 63-year-old African American woman who looks very, very old. I've always heard it said that "Black don't crack"; and maybe it doesn't, but it sure does sag. For about 10 years now, I have been losing elasticity in my face to the point that I now look older than my 83-year-old mother. This hound-dog look, as I call it, has virtually destroyed any self confidence that I may have had. I am afraid to leave the house. Adults stare at me, and children are afraid of me.

About 10 years ago, I asked my dermatologist, and she didn't think I was a good candidate for plastic surgery. I recently, asked my Primary care doctor for some advise, and she told me I was gorgeous, so I know she's not taking me seriously. Anyway, I don't think I could afford it. I am also afriad of it, because I have heard that it doesn't suit dark skinned people due to the possibility of keloids, infections, etc. Also, am a diabetic; I need to lose weight to get it under control, but I'm sure if I lose weight the sagging will worsen. I also have dental problems - I have been without bottom back teeth for 20+ years, and the teeth I have left are, for some reason, are getting shorter and shorter. Sorry for rambling, but as you can see, I have lots of issues. I really need someone to point me in the right direction, because at this point, I just feel helpless and lost.

Now for my questions: Before approaching a doctor, I feel I need to arm myself with some sort of information. For instance, since this doesn't normally happen to black women (well, at least, not in my family's genes), what are some of the possible reasons this could be happening to me, and what are the most likely solutions. If it is purely cosmetic, are there any stop-gap measures I can take, in lieu of full on plastic surgery? Outside of my primary care doctor and my dermatologist, are there any other specialists I could/should consult? Thanks for your advice.

Sincerely, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Mayank Singh 49 minutes later
Thank you for posting your query on health care magic
WHat I have assimilated from your query is that you are concerned about ageing changes of your skin and teeth .Firstly Ill like to tell you that these are inevitable changes which are bound to occur , skin becomes loose and sags down with some amount of fat accumulation occuring as well.The only way to deal with it without any surgical intervention is healthy life style , with exercise , yoga and diet management.
I cannot comment upon what is the best surgical treatment for you till I see you in person or atleast your pictures.Cosmetic surgery is always a possibility even in black skin though adequate precautions have to be taken by surgeon for preventing hypertrophy of scars or keloid formation .
But prior to undergoing any surgical intervention kindly get your sugar levels and blood pressure under control.As far as your teeth problems are concerned you should consult a dentist for the same
I hope I have answered all your queries .If you have any further doubts feel free to mail me again
God Bless
Dr Mayank Singh
Consultant Plastic , Cosmetic & Laser Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Plastic surgery

doctor1 MD

Hi I have an old scar on my forehead that has recently developed A Ridge or bump that follows the whole length of the scar. It seems numb to the touch, but slightly painful when pressure is applied. This scar is 45 years old, and I just recently got over a serious skin infection on my right ear which was very severe should I just see a dermatologist or should I see my primary care physician?

doctor1 MD

Hi I am 47 years old and have what I am now assuming is a nasal crease from having some pretty severe allergies for all of my adult life, my allergies are mostly under control but the crease is prominent now and white. I work outside and use sunscreen but still am exposed to tanning rays and while my skin darkens the line is more white than ever, not to mention I have Native American blood so it s very pronounced all year. Is there a cream that would diminish the crease? I m even open to plastic surgery procedures if that would be an option, last ditch effort kind of option. Any suggestions?

doctor1 MD

my 13 year old daughter has a pimply rash on her breasts, tummy, buttocks, back, hips, the back of her legs and on her arms, it started on her hips and has spread to the other areas over the last 2 days. it is not itchy but she also had a headache yesterday.

doctor1 MD

doctor my face is suffered from the infection before my skin is very smooth but till my skin id rashess and marks and black marks there i am also consult the doctor but there no use now i am using the betnovate gm it is good or bad now i continue this cream this cream using before one day

doctor1 MD

I am interested in having a breast lift and implants...I am 59 years good health! I am a bit scared, never had any surgery before, lol, not looking to be Dolly Parton, but want to fill a bra properly! May you recommend to me an excellent...

doctor1 MD

Hello, this question is for a dermatologist or a general surgeon . I suffer from multiple lipomas in my arms, thighs and back. My questions: 1) Is there a treatment available for lipomas to stop them from growing or increasing in size? 2) If...

doctor1 MD

My whole scalp is now a (Gel). I went to Specialists Dermatologist Dr's etc. They did many biopsies took pictures and only told me it's in GRANULAR ???? I just want some medicine to heal it, or to have it removed or Plastic Surgery to fix it. I...