Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

62 years old vomits after eating. Noticed blood traces in sputum. Ultrasound done. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1415 Questions
My mother is 62 years old. She stays very low these days and does not able to digest the food she eat. She vomits after having meal. Also, there is some blood traces in the Spurtum.

Reports of Ultra Sound scan of KUB :-
Kidneys -- normal, Increase in cortical echogenecity, no calculus/mass lesion noted
Urinary Bladder -- No residual urine after micturition, does not show any calculus/mass leisoon.
Uterus -- normal

Result - Mild B/L Medical Renal disease

Hemoglobin - 6.80 g/dl

Creatinine, Serum - 5.46 mg/dl

Urine Examination
Chemical --
Protein -- (Present 2+ (100 mg/dl))
Leucocyte Esterase -- Positive

Microscopy --
RBC -- 20-30 RBC/HPF
Pus Cells -- 5-7 WBC/HPF
Epithelial Cells -- Few
Casts -- Granular 1/8-10 LPF

Fundus Examination is normal.

Sugar fasting - 91 mg/dl
Please advice based on the above tests done.
If any further tests are required, please suggest.

(My email id is - YYYY@YYYY )
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 45 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX
She has urinary tract infection and chronic kidney disease.
She needs ( investigation)
1.     Urine culture if not done already.
2.     Serum electrolytes.

She may need dialysis as she has uremic symptoms.
She needs antibiotics for UTI.
We need to do chest xray as well for blood in sputum.

Factors to be considered for dialysis are
1.     Fluid overload – leading to difficulty in breathing.
2.     High serum potassium levels.
3.     Uremic symptoms- in the heart, lungs. Stomach etc.---

Nephrologist would be the best person to examine do these tests and do the needful.
Wishing her best health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor