Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

62 years old. Suffering from lightheaded, nausea, shaky and hot flashes. What's wrong?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14826 Questions
my mom is 62 years old, and is suffering from lightheaded, nause, shaky and hot flashes no one finds anything we dont know what to do... Doctors dont find anyhting wrong.
Posted Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The terms dizziness and lightheadedness are often interchanged and used to describe an altered sensation in the head, a feeling as though one is going to fall or lose balance.
Dizziness and nausea are often associated together because when the balance is disturbed it can cause a person to feel nauseous. It can be related to conditions of the inner ear which play an integral role in controlling balance. Conditions such as (1) vestibulitis (inflammation of a nerve in the inner ear, usually related to a viral infection), (2) labyrinthitis (this is normally associated with hearing loss),(3) menieres (normally a person may have ringing or abnormal sounds in the ear and hearing loss along with the dizziness and nausea), (4) BPPV (this stands for benign paroxysmal postitional vertigo which is short episodes of dizziness that occur when the head is in particular direction)

Other conditions such as a low blood count (anemia), heart disease, abnormal thyroid levels can cause the same lightheaded/dizzy feeling.
High levels of thyroid hormones can cause intolerance of heat, the heat flashes may also be related to menopausal symptoms which can last a long time

To determine the cause of the symptoms, your mother's doctor may consider, after a full history and examination (including an ENT examination) , taking bloods to check her hormonal status, thyroid hormone level, blood count, a CT scan may also be considered if the initial results do not yield a diagnosis.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor