62 years old. Suffering from lightheaded, nausea, shaky and hot flashes. What's wrong?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Question: my mom is 62 years old, and is suffering from lightheaded, nause, shaky and hot flashes no one finds anything we dont know what to do... Doctors dont find anyhting wrong.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The terms dizziness and lightheadedness are often interchanged and used to describe an altered sensation in the head, a feeling as though one is going to fall or lose balance.
Dizziness and nausea are often associated together because when the balance is disturbed it can cause a person to feel nauseous. It can be related to conditions of the inner ear which play an integral role in controlling balance. Conditions such as (1) vestibulitis (inflammation of a nerve in the inner ear, usually related to a viral infection), (2) labyrinthitis (this is normally associated with hearing loss),(3) menieres (normally a person may have ringing or abnormal sounds in the ear and hearing loss along with the dizziness and nausea), (4) BPPV (this stands for benign paroxysmal postitional vertigo which is short episodes of dizziness that occur when the head is in particular direction)

Other conditions such as a low blood count (anemia), heart disease, abnormal thyroid levels can cause the same lightheaded/dizzy feeling.
High levels of thyroid hormones can cause intolerance of heat, the heat flashes may also be related to menopausal symptoms which can last a long time

To determine the cause of the symptoms, your mother's doctor may consider, after a full history and examination (including an ENT examination) , taking bloods to check her hormonal status, thyroid hormone level, blood count, a CT scan may also be considered if the initial results do not yield a diagnosis.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions