Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

62 years old. Noticed blood in urine. Ultrascan done. Is it related to cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 689 Questions
Question grand mothers age is 62 she got small bleeding on urine and she checked by ultrascan....and the reports says ...on Uterus section : normal in size measuring 68*37*44 mm .Myometrial echotexture is normal. Endometrium is thickened and hyper echoic mesuriung 14 mm. small nabothian cysts noted in the cervix...... some body saying that is infection and some body saying its a cancer....can u help me please......
Posted Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 47 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

Considering your grand mother's age, I presume she is menopausal (menses have come to stop).

Any bleeding which starts after menopause should be considered serious and evaluated at the earliest.

Secondly your grandmother's ultrasound shows endometrial thickness is 14 mm and hyperechoic. This means that her uterine lining is thickened and dense which is abnormal at this age and leading to bleeding. The normal endometrial thickness after menopause is 4 mm.

The cause of increased thickness of endometrium may range from simple endometrial hyperplasia (simple increased thickness) to endometrial cancer. This can be differentiated only after biopsy.
It does NOT occur in infection.

Nabothian cysts which are present on cervix are normal findings and may occur in infection. However they are mainly diagnosed and treated based on XXXXXXX examination findings and NOT on ultrasound.

No ultrasound can diagnose the possibility of cancer in absolute terms.
Only histopathology of the affected area can make a diagnosis of cancer. This is where a tissue sample is taken from the affected site.
In your grandmother's case, biopsy has to be done from the uterus which is known as ENDOMETRIAL BIOPSY.
This is essential for deciding her further management as diagnosis would be made only after biopsy.

I suggest you to take your grandmother to a gynecologist for an evaluation and XXXXXXX examination followed by tests as per her findings.
Pap smear test (opd procedure) is also a must for your grandmother.

I hope I have answered your query.

Kindly revert back if any doubts.

take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor