60 years old diabetic. Having loose and smelly stools. Should I be worried?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in Diabetes
Question: Hi! I have very loose and smelly stools. I have always had 3 movements a day and still do however they are very loose now. I am 60 years old and have diabetes. Should I be worried. It's been about a year now. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
The reason of having loose stools for last one year could be-
1.Irritable bowel syndrome- IBS can be helped by eating a proper diet and taking medication.
2.Crohn's Disease or UC- These are autoimmune gut disorders. This causes sores in your intestines, stomach, and/or throat which causes blood and mucus in the stool.
Other causes include- Lactose intolerance or gluten sensitivity, intestinal polyp or gastritis.
Please visit your gastroenterologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case so that proper treatment can be initiated. It is best to get yourself evaluated to avoid any further complications.
For temporary relief start eating low fiber (no more then 2 grams), and a low resin diet. That means that you should avoid nuts, popcorn, anything with seeds, or caffeine.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.