60 years old. Noticed painless swelling on sides of neck. What's going on?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: yes i am a 60 year old woman.. today I noticed a little puffiness like swelling on both sides of my neck.. right above my colarbone.. no knots.. no pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 minutes later
The mild puffiness like swelling near your neck with no palpable knots or lumps is likely to be due to a generalized problem like anaemia, fluid overload, thyroid hormone imbalances, cardiac causes, hypertension, excessive pain killers intake, renal problems, etc. A detailed physical examination and a few blood tests are required to detect the exact cause.
Please do consider visiting your physician for proper treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.