6 weeks pregnant. Scan showed no fetal pole, no heart beat and no fluid. Am I miscarrying?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: I am 42 years old very healthy and had a miscarriage 2 years ago.
I am currently 6 weeks pregnant based on an ultrasound tech measurement because I don't know dates of my LMP and went off the pill anyway last month so i could have ovulated late.
Anyway, my hcg results were 0000 and 2 days later only XXXXXXX to 0000.
An ultrasound at 5 weeks said no fetal pole was visible yet. At 5 weeks 6 days it said the same thing. No heartbeat yet, no fetal pole. No ovaries identified and no evidence of fluid in the cul de sac.
I have had no bleeding or severe cramping.
I am meeting with my doctor tomorrow, but want a second opinion first.
Is it still too early to see a fetal pole/heartbeat? Am I miscarrying? Should I get another panel of Hcg tests to see if they double? I need honest help.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 41 minutes later

The possibilities are:
-After 6000 mIU/ml, hcg levels will take four or more days to double.
Reference: WWW.WWWW.WW And sometimes fetal pole may not be visible till five weeks. As you are not having accurate dates and as first trimester scan can show 3 to 4 days difference in gestational age, better to wait for one more week before coming to one conclusion.

-Even after one week if the fetal pole is not visible, then there is possibility for blighted ovum. In this condition only gestational sac presents without fetal pole.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.