6 month baby on solids and breastfeed. Noticed brown coating on tongue. What should be done?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: 6 month old baby has a brown coating on tongue for the past 3 days. It doesn't appear to come off easily. Baby on puree solids & breastfeed.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

It has been observed that following a nose block a baby may start mouth breathing which causes dryness of the mouth and coating of the tongue as described by you. I suggest the following:
1. Ensure that your daughter does not have an cold and cough). If she has then give her a decongestant/cough syrup.
2. Just wipe the coating with a soft wet cloth and it should get cleaned. If this does not work then you can apply glycerine which shall help remove the coating after a few applications.
3. Increase the water intake with the normal diet that you are giving.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your daughter all the best.

RKK