54 yr old male. Family history of heart disease .

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: 54 yr old male. Family history of heart disease. Walked 40 miles at Disney this week and felt extremely light headed at airport, almost went over. Last doctors appointment by normal (taking atorvastatin precautionary - mid 180’s cholestorel). Ankles are swollen today. My daughter is bugging out and insisting I go to ER but I want to wait to see what happens to swelling. Advice?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir

After going through the medical details provided by you I can understand your concern and I would like to tell you that although the swelling which has developed in your ankles could be because of prolonged walk which your body is not acclimatised to do but as there is a family history of heart disease and your cholesterol levels are also slightly towards the higher side and Keeping into consideration your age group it’s highly advisable to get a basic cardiac checkup done.

In my opinion you should not ignore the symptoms and consult a cardiologist are your primary physician As early as possible and get an eco-cardiography as well as a stress test done to unmask any underlying coronary artery disease.

I hope this information will guide you properly.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 7 hours later
Thank you. Went to ER, had ekg, blood work, chest X-ray and a blood clot test. Thankfully all is fine and normal. Head cold caused dizziness and a flight day before was culprit for swelling. Better safe then sorry.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello again

Detailed Answer:
It’s good to hear that all your reports came back normal. Yes precaution is always better than cure.

Just maintain healthy lifestyle routine and if possible get an echocardiography done sometimes.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy