Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

190 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

54 years old. Experiencing joint pain and hand pain. Which medicine should I take?

Answered by
Dr. Aarti Abraham


Practicing since :1998

Answered : 6009 Questions

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have read the complaints of the woman who is experiencing joint pain and hand pain. I am 54 (wt: 116; ht: 5'2") and have been in excellent health, no pain at all, do physical work (yard work, cleaning apts.) and just stopped the pill within a month. During this month, I am experiencing the same pains and discomforts described by that woman. What is in the pill that has prevented me from feeling this discomfort while taking it? Is there a supplement to the pill that would eliminate the aches?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us.
Pills containing hormones like oestrogen and progesterone, and as you are 54 , you are either menopausal or peri menopausal
During this age group, it is common to experience symptoms of hormone withdrawal, as the body stops making these hormones indigenously.
Hence, the pills continue to provide them artificially.
On stopping them, this beneficial effect Is taken off.
As you are 54 , I would suggest you consult an Orthopedic surgeon, to exactly know the cause of your aches and pains, as they range from rheumatoid arthritis to other diseases, and also your gynaecologist, for an examination, and alternatives.
If your Gynecologist deems fit, you can continue taking hormone replacement therapy as advised.

A few links to help you understand further

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  

Recent questions on  Hormone replacement therapy

doctor1 MD

I was born September 1970

I was on

Testosterone Cypionate 200mg/cc. The weekly injection is .75cc



On 6-24-11 my estradol was 69. My total testosterone was 639 , my free testosterone was 149.5.

How long after stopping testosterone will it and estradol go out of my system. In what month will I have normal healthy sperm ready to be used for ICSI IVF.

doctor1 MD

Hi. I am a 34 Male. I am curious about an exercise supplement called DHEA. It is supposed to be a hormone that increases testosterone. Ever heard of it? Also am thinking of injecting some testosterone for a cycle of roids. What drugs do you recommend to get on after the testosterone cycle is over? Something to prevent bulk loss and stimulate normal testosterone production. Or is juicing up a little bit simply a bad idea?

doctor1 MD

I am a 56 yr old male, healthy, fit, don't smoke and workout every day..former navy SEAL... my testosterone dropped over the last several years to a low of about 200...on testosterone (fortesta) for about a year and its up to almost high can I expect it to go?

doctor1 MD

I have been told by my doctor that I have high testosterone. I'm a 32 year old female. I also have bad skin and am on medication for it. I did not have bad skin until a couple of years ago. Is this from my testosterone level? Also, I heard that when you're pregnant you hair does not fall out. I'm pregnant and my hair is still falling out? is this due to testosterone?

doctor1 MD

I have burning when I urinate, Urinary tract infection was ruled out, all cultures came back normal. Tried a steroid cream no luck, Dr mentioned low estrogen , don't want to take estrogen what can I do to stop this, been suffering a month already.

doctor1 MD

My doctor prescribed M EEG ES TR OL for me and I do not think the side effects are good for me I haven't 75 with diabetes two and hat and have an eminent wheelchair and overweight . Should I be concerned taking this medicine

doctor1 MD

i am a 52 year old women with pretty bad asthma and no am faceing hotflashes on my ears and the back of my head