Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

53 years of age, no menstruation for two years, symptoms of bleeding, cramps. Treatment options ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
I haven't had a period in 2 years, I thought I was done with them. But now I am having bleeding and some cramping. I am 53.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 24 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Any postmenopausal bleeding is certainly regarded as abnormal. There are a couple of things which could be contributing to this but certainly you'll need to see your doctor to discuss this new finding. The first possibility would be something like a uterine fibroid. These are benign growths which can sometimes grow to a certain level and cause bleeding. The second thing which needs to be ruled out would be any abnormal cells in your uterus including precancerous or cancerous cells. Your doctor can refer you to a gynecologist to perform assessment for this. Certainly at some point you may also need an ultrasound.

At this point I would recommend that you contact your symptoms you're having. Your physician make see you in the office or possibly refer you to a gynecologist Ford focus consultation and examination. I advise that you do this within the next few days.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Robert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor