Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

52 year old, overweight, used a tree limb lopper. Now having pain. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 2105 Questions
I am a 52 year old female who is overweigt, but I still like to do yard work from time to time on weekends. A couple week ago I used a tree limb loper for a few hours to prune bushes and tree limbs.Some limbs were almost too thick for it to handle but I pushed as hard as I could with the loper handle wedged hard against my left palm several times(I am right handed.)
That night I had pain in the palm that really bothered me. For some reason the pain never went away totally and it is really still bothering me. When I make my left pinky push down the whole way against my palm, the pain radiates down my palm on that side.

Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 3 hours later

Thanks for writing to us.

You probably may have sustained soft tissue injury while handing the tree limp lopper. However it would be better to get X-ray of your hand done (AP and Oblique view) to rule out minor fractures. An orthopedician can guide you through the test.

If your X-Ray report is normal that is there is no dislocation or fracture of small bones of the hand, then you can be rest assured the symptoms will go away by a week or two.

A few tips to fasten recovery are as follows:
- Rest adequately and avoid any exercise of the affected hand.
- Hot fomentation with warm saline water can be useful.
- Wrap a Crepe bandage on your palm after application of local pain relieving gel.
- Take anti-inflammatory drugs like motrin 400mg twice a day after food for 3-5 days.

In addition you may also consider physiotherapy / Ultrasound therapy on your palm.

I hope this is useful to you. If you have any doubts, I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor