Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

52 year old. Missing period and having foul-smelling flatulence. Do I have hemorrhoids problem?

Jul 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 1196 Questions
I am a 52 year old woman with generally excellent health. I have not had a period in almost 2 years and consider myself to have entered menopause. Recently I have had foul-smelling flatulence for no apparent reason. I think I have hemrroids and I have done weight lifting and cardio for fitness on the last four years. My diet consists of wheat cereal, oat XXXXXXX orange juice, XXXXXXX cookies, spinach, tuna fish, cousous, greek yogurt without sugar, chicken,, fish, vegetables and salad. I do like dark chocolate and have it occassionally. I drink one cup of coffee per day, lots of water, and low-cal gatorade. I have not had a colonoscopy yet. Should I try charcoal tablets, etc?
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 16 minutes later
Hi there.
I note with interest your detailed hisotry & clinical symptoms. All foul smeeling flatulence does not warranty a colonoscopy. Relax. It seems like a temporary issue. Hemorrhoids per se too do not present with foul smelling flatulence. It may most likely be due to some sort of minor Gastrointestinal disturbance. The dark chocolate & coffee et al may have contributed but if you do enjoy them, i for one encourage it -in moderation of course ;-) Yes to your query...charcoal tablets are a very good option to begin with. It will most definitely help. Alternatively, you may go across to your chemist or GP & take a single dose of tinnidazole or secnidazole that may require a prescription in your parts. This should set you right. Notice you drink lots of water & please do continue to do so.
Wishing you continued good health & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor