50 years old with viral meningitis. Getting headache, confusion and memory lapses. What's wrong?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi,
I'm a 50 year old woman who was hiking, running my own property management business, and raising 3 busy teenagers until I was hospitalized 12/26 for 4 days with viral meningitas (diagnosed by spinal tap). I have an appointment to see my GP next week because she is on vacation this week. I still have bad (7) headaches on and off which I am managing with Naproxin and an occassional Hydromorphine. I some memory lapses, minor confusion, am exhausted from doing minor things like a load of laundry, am sensitive to light and sound, and just want to rest/sleep. Having been a type AA person, I am frustrated that I don't feel better, sand start to wonder if there could be something else wrong with me.

Given the time frame of my illness and how I feel now, do you see a need for me to see my GP prior to next week? Do you suggest follow up tests of any kind? Blood work, CT, spinal puncture?

Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Viral meningitis can lead to headaches for a few weeks, so, I do not feel there is a need to worry at present (since only about 15 days have passed since your diagnosis).

For pain relief, you could take NAPROSYN round the clock (about three times a day), so that you feel comfortable.

I can't think of any need to see your GP immediately or go for any tests now. However, if your headache worsens in severity or if you have vomiting or double vision, you may go for a repeat CT scan (as in some cases, there may be hydrocephalus- accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid- as a complication of meningitis).

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 47 minutes later
Thank you for the quick and thorough response. The Naprosyn 500 prescribed to me instructs 2x/day. If I understand you correctly, I can actually take it every 8 hours. Is that accurate? Is there any concern (liver, ulcer, addiction) with taking it for an extended period of time (3 weeks)?

Appreciate your assistance!
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 19 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

What I meant is 250 mg thrice daily. If the tablets' strength is 500 mg, then twice a day is the correct dose.

With 1000 mg per day, there is no risk of side effects. For patients with arthritis, we use it daily for a few months also.

There is no need to take preventive medicines to prevent ulcers. However, if you notice any burning pain in stomach, then you may use rabeprozole.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 days later
My eyes have been burning on and off all day. Sometimes it is so bad I need to close them. They feel sticky. I am slightly nasous. Is there any reason for concern?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for getting back.

There is no need to worry about the current eye symptoms. They could be because of mild allergy.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)