Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

50 years old on contraceptive pill. Should I stop using contraceptive pill?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 689 Questions
I am 50, have been on the pill for probably 12 years (started because of heavy bleeding), and am thinking about stopping using the pill. I will use another birth control method. What else should I be thinking about with this decision?
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello there,
Thanks for writing to us.

You should definitely stop using oral contraceptive pills. You are 50 yrs and pills are not advisable after the age of 35years. This is because they increase the chances of high blood pressure and diabetes along with many other side effects. Also many other contraceptives which contain both oestrogen and progesterone should be avoided in your case. For eg. Combined Patches, vaginal rings, intradermal implants.

One good choice in your case would be progesterone containing intrauterine device called MIRENA which would provide contraception besides controlling your heavy periods. It is a device which is placed inside the uterine cavity through the vagina. Once inside, it releases progesterone in a fixed quantity daily which causes endometrial atrophy that in turn makes uterus unfavourable for pregnancy besides mechanically preventing implantation. Also endometrial atrophy causes reduced bleeding during menses.

As you are 50years , I should mention it to you that you should finish your menses in a year or so. Average age of menopause is 51years. Bleeding which occurs after menopause or continues beyond 51 years is considered Abnormal and should be evaluated.

So I suggest you to XXXXXXX a gynaecologist personally, get your XXXXXXX examination and ultrasound done to rule out any disease causing heavy periods. Pap smear and minor procedure called endometrial biopsy would be beneficial to rule out atypical hyperplasia or cancer of endometrium & cervix as these also cause abnormal bleeding.

Mirena IUD can then be inserted if the above things are normal.

I hope I have answered your query.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor