Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

50 years old. Having yellowish condensed discharge and dark labia minora. Treatment?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
I just noticed that my labia minora has gotten very dark, dull dark blackish gray. I am woerried why is that. I am 50. I have little yellowish condensed discharge
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX platform.

You are currently in menopausal age group (50 yrs) as you had undergone hysterectomy 5 yrs ago.

Following menopause, blackish/ dark gray colored labia minora or some part of vulva is mostly due to overproduction of melanin pigment and fluctuation or decreased level of other body hormones. It is quite physiological.

Other predisposing factors vaginal infection (related with yellowish discharge), ring worm infestation, diabetes, hypertension, over weight, contact with chemical substance while using condom or detergent/ scented soap/ other bath products etc.

If there is no itching/ bad smelling on discharge or any type lesion/ bump, then you have nothing to worry. Just maintain your genital hygiene properly. In such case, applying aloe vera gel may help to lighten your labial skin color but you do not expect 100% result.

Though, I suggest to contact with your gynecologist for complete health check up including pelvic examination to pin point the diagnosis. Do relevant investigations as per your doctor's recommendation and take suggestive measures accordingly.

Some general measures to be taken like:

1) Avoid unprotected sexual intercourse and may use water based lubricant with condom.
2) Wear loose fitting underwear/ pant to avoid repeated irritation/ friction.
3) Complete avoidance of chemical bath products/ scented soap/ detergent. Just clean genitalia with plain water only.
4) Take balanced nutritious diet and drink plenty of water/ fluids.
5) Control body weight by regular light physical exercise if you are overweight.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor