Owl Image

50 years old. Getting post coital odor. Test showed no infection. Is this related to menopause?

Question
Wife and I are in our 50s she has been having post coital odor for 13 mnths. Last pathology report showed no infection, She has been on the pill for years. Is this related to menopause?
What can we do to restore her vaginal pH? I am sure that my semen is raising the pH of her vagina causing the amine smell.....very frustrating
Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Amine vaginal odour is typical of bacterial vaginosis.This is an infection caused due to the imbalance in vaginal flora.Now its commonly seen in manopausal women because the normal vaginal flora is upset due to hormonal changes. Maintaining good hygiene is very important. Probiotics will help in restoring the vaginal flora and balancing the pH to some extent. First i think that of she is on the pill,then she needs to stop at age 51. A cervical pap smear should be done yearly.Your semen alone is not causing the smell,though it may aggravate the problem.Start the probiotics first.