Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

50 years old. Felt strange sensation in clitoris. Cause of concern?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
I am in my late 50's i have been a widow for 15 years. I have not been sexually active since my husbands death. For some reason, this am when i woke up my clitoris was pulsating sporadically. It is such a strange sensation. (very uncomfortable too!) I was wondering what causes this?
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

First of all, I can assume that you are in post menopausal age group. Pulsating clitoris usually occurs with high sex drive or during orgasm in reproductive period. But at 57 yrs old, it is unusual without sexual stimulation and sometimes may occur due to following reasons.

These include:
1) Hormonal imbalance or derangement with fluctuation of sexual desire.
2) Persistent high blood pressure or coronary artery disease with high lipid profile.
3) Neuromuscular disorder or involuntary muscle contraction (kegel/ pelvic floor muscle) around pelvic/ clitoral region. .
4) Increased clitoral blood flow due to orgasmic dysfunction or systemic disease.
5) Using certain medication, associated infection, diabetes, previous blunt trauma etc.

The possibilities can be narrowed by complete physical & pelvic examination with some relevant investigation, based on possible etiology. These include complete hormone assay including thyroid profile, blood sugar & lipid profile, ECG for heart condition, check for BP, doppler study for clitoral blood flow, electromyogram (EMG) & nerve conduction study etc.

Complete treatment can only be made after proper diagnosis. You may need to take HRT) with other supportive medication.

Therefore, I suggest you to contact with your healthcare provider/ gynecologist to guide above said investigation & medication.

Following life style modification can help you to get relief some:

1) Take healthy diet with iron & calcium supplements.
2) Drink more water/ juice and eat more XXXXXXX vegetables/ fruits.
3) Try to Avoid heavy work or strain full activity. Keep bowel habit regular
4) Avoid stress/ anxiety by regular XXXXXXX breathing/ yoga & maintain genital hygiene properly.
5) Do light exercise for better systemic circulation and take sound sleep with complete relaxation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor