Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

5 year old having habit of bed wetting. Advice some permanent cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1852 Questions
Hi, i have my son name Shivansh Chauhan, Actually he has problem of bed wetting since birth. Now he is 5 year old but now same problem occurs with him 2-3 time in one night. Please diagnose him if you can....
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 19 hours later
Thanks for your query.

The medical name for not being able to control your urine is enuresis. Nocturnal enuresis is involuntary urination that occurs at night.

First it is normal for child to pass urine in bed in early ages. But this problem stopped occurring after 7 year of age in most of the boys. Around 95% of children dry at 10 years of age. Considering this, most bed wetting is just a developmental delay. It is not an emotional problem or physical illness.

Following steps will help you:

-Do not worry till further 2 years till he become 7 year old.

-Protect child self esteem which used to decrease due to: bed wetting, scolding by parents, pressure to attain bladder control and shaming in front of others.

-If he is dry some day, give him reward in form of candy or chocolate or the thing which he like after mentioning reason of reward.

-Do not discus child problem with others. Protect child from scolding and shaming by others. Remain sympathetic to him.

-If problem persist after 2-3 years then some medicine can be started like: Low dose Imipramine. He may also need urological investigation on that.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor