Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

5 year child having stomach ache and nausea. Blood work showed high SGOT. Should I be worried?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 624 Questions
Hi. My daughter is 5 and recently had bloodwork done. I have been taking her to the doctor for recurrent stomach pain, and (as she puts it) the feeling that she "needs to go throw up"-- but she never does. Her SGOT level was 38. I understand this to be high, but her doctor told me it was nothing to worry about. Other levels that were abnormal were Glucose-68, Bilirubin-0.2, Serum Creatinine- 0.4, WBC- 5.4.

Is it true that I do not need to worry about this, or should I be doing some other followup?
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 2 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

SGOT is commonly measured to determine liver health.

It's reference range is 12-39 IU/L (Hutchison's clinical methods). Thus, 38 SGOT is within range.

In female SGOT reading above 34 can be taken as slightly high, but SGOT is present in cardiac muscles, skeletal muscles, brain, kidneys and Red blood cells etc. also. Thus SGOT level may be elevated in disease affecting other organs also.

Normal range of Glucose (fasting) is 63-108 mg/dl.

Normal range of Serum Bilirubin (total) is <1.00 mg/dl.

Normal range of Serum Creatinin in female is 0.7-1.1 mg mg/dl.

Normal range of WBC is 4-11 million cells/mcl.

Serum creatinine is slightly on lower side, but not significant.

As her doctor after examination has told you nothing to worry about, you should not worry.

Serum ALT level is more specific indicator of liver inflammation. Thus you can get her serum ALT estimated to exclude liver pathology.

With good wishes,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor