5 month pregnant. Scan showed mild oligohramnious. Is this a serious problem?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: hi i am 5 months pregnant i had went through the scaning and the reports says i have Mild oligohramnious waht would be the impact of that on the baby is it a serious problem and how to get rid of that naturally
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Mild oligohydramnios means you have a decreased amount of liquor around your baby.
The finding of oligohydramnios can be associated with fetal anomalies, Premature Rupture Of Membranes, uteroplacental insufficiency (eg, growth retardation, abruptio placenta, significant maternal illness), abnormalities of twinning, and idiopathic oligohydramnios. It needs a thorough evaluation for hypertension, diabetes, or other significant illness. In addition, a thorough fetal anatomic survey focusing on the genitourinary tract and an attempt at visualizing free amniotic bands should be performed with ultrasound.
Regarding the treatment, high protein diet, L- arginine supplements, plenty of oral fluid intake, bed rest and a low salt diet will be helpful. You can start the proper treatment after consulting your gynecologist.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.