4yo daughter had Giardia and was treated 4 days ago
How long does it take to clear up?
She did lose a bit of weight, enough to notice.
Since having the medicine 4 days ago, she is constantly hungry and is constantly hungry and eats a lot of food. Is this normal? Should we keep doing this or what should we do?
Just give her clean and healthy food.
Hello and Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice,
Tinidazole single dose is enough to clear up the parasite.
Yes due to worm infestation in intestine the patient loses her appetite. Now as the worms are killed it's normal for child to get her appetite back.
Don't worry let her eat whatever she want so that she could gain weight.
Repeat a stool test after 2 weeks to see if she is cleared of parasite. Some times despite of single dose treatment ova and cyst of parasite persists in intestine which may later hatch up. Body would regain the calories lost during the time she had worm infestation.
Just give her healthy and clean food to eat.
Feel free to follow up,
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for chronic pancreatitis and recurring ribs pain
- What causes an itchy red rash around the anus?
- Suggest treatment for chronic vomiting when diagnosed with gastroenteritis
- Suggest treatment for severe pain in the ribs
- Is Rabeprazole an effective medication for reflux esophagitis?
- What causes excessive burping and abdominal pain?
- Suggest treatment for severe back pain
- Suggest natural treatment for severe acid reflux
- What causes black stool?
- What causes intermittent pain after anal fistulotomy?