Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

49 years old with hepatitis c. Started getting pain while breathing. Due to liver enlargement?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1962
Answered : 693 Questions
I am a 49 year old female with cirrhosis brought on by a hep c infection 25-30 years ago. Yesterday I had to leave work due to the severity of the pain on my right side. It hurt to even breathe in. Is this due to liver enlargement? I've had ovarian pain lately the past 2 weeks but don't understand why. I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago. They left my ovaries, tubes and cervix. Since this ovarian pain, the pain in my liver area is quite severe now.
Thank you
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 43 minutes later
It is very unfortunate that we did not have blood tests to diagnose
Hep-C till the 1990's. Sounds like your cirrhosis is stable if you
have not had complications such as bleeding or coma.
Right sided pain, if located beneath the rib cage, have to think
about gallbladder problems.
More seriously, have to worry about liver cancer.
You need to get blood tests, markers for liver cancer.
You need to get sonogram, CT-Scan and perhaps MRI.
You can discuss this with your doctor.
I wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 49 years old with hepatitis c. Started getting pain while breathing. Due to liver enlargement? 1 hour later
I already had an mri with elastogram and ct scans. The MRI showed Hepatomegaly, hepatic steatosis with a fat fraction of 16%, mild increased liver stiffness measuring 3.2 kPa, rule out developing XXXXXXX no evidence of hepatocellular cancer, normal gallbladder, bile ducts and pancreas. I also had esophagogast roduodenoscopy and biopsy of the antrum. Biopsy of small antral nodule was benign. Procedure showed small distal esophageal ring consistent with Schatzki's ring and a small hiatal hernia.
My question is, could the cirrhosis be advancing, hence the pain? I have insurance no longer and will not until October. Is the pain something to worry about or just the normal advancing of this disease?
Thak you
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 36 minutes later
I am glad that they have done the tests that I had suggested.
It is possible that the enlarged liver which has a covering or
capsule can stretch and since it contains nerve endings could
give you pain. Especially when there is pressure on the organ
such as when you are bending or lifting etc.
The only way that you can tell whether your cirrhosis is getting
worse , is when you start developing signs of liver failure.
Portal hypertension with enlarged veins in the esophagus and
stomach , massive fluid build up in the abdomen , bleeding
and encephalopathy or coma. Obviously the liver tests will be
very abnormal , very high bilirubin , increasing kidney failure etc.
Hope this answers your concerns.
I wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 49 years old with hepatitis c. Started getting pain while breathing. Due to liver enlargement? 6 hours later
I don't have any of those signs yet, just forgetfulness and really short term memory. It has been 2 full days of this pain and hasn't let up really, especially when sitting in an upright position.
The pain is normal when the liver stretches and enlarges right? I was told the liver was three fingers width above normal size sitting below my ribcage.
I guess if this is normal progression of this disease I needn't worry. Just wanted to make sure I could hang in there with the pain until I can actually see an gastroenterologist.
Thank you for your reply
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 9 hours later
Yes, the stretching of the covering because of the enlargement
can give you pain in certain positions. I am glad that you have
a followup appointment with the gastroenterologist. He can assess
the situation with hands on after a good examination.
I wish you the very best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor