Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

49 years old, having long period which varies heavy to spotting. Normal at this age?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
I am 49. Have been on my period for nearly 3 weeks. It varies from heavy to spotting. It was my understanding that this type of thing was normal around my age but am being told by friends that it is not. Just wondered if I should
be concerned?
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 56 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to give answer according to your concern.

It seems that you are in peri-menopausal age group (your 49 yrs). In this age group, irregular or heavy bleeding occurs in some women. It may be due to hormonal imbalance, caused by dysfunction of ovary without ovulation leads to progesterone deficiency.

But, we have to rule out other possible causes of heavy bleeding (more than 3 weeks) in this context. These are as follows:

1) Uterine/ cervical fibroid & polyp.
2) Endometrial hyperplasia / atrophy.
3) Adenomyosis/ Dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB)
4) Others- infection, using certain medication etc.

Complete physical examination including pelvic/ speculum/ colposcopic exam is needed to rule out underlying pathology.

Possibilities can be narrowed by several investigations like blood test for thyroid profile & clotting factor abnormality, Ultrasound scan for pelvis, Pap smear test to detect cancerous changes and endometrial biopsy ( may be needed).

There is certain treatment modalities by the means of haemostatic agent combined with oral progesterone tab for 3-6 months duration. If above medical treatment fails to control bleeding, then approach would be surgical by the means of Dilation and curettage (D&C), Operative hysteroscopy to remove polyp, endometrial ablation in case of hyperplasia.

Lastly, total hysterectomy (removal of uterus, tube & cervix) is the ideal choice in your age group with completed family.

So please consult with your gynecologist for proper guidance through investigation, medication & suggestive measures.

In the interim, the following things should help:

1) Take healthy diet with iron supplements.
2) Drink more water and eat more vegetables/ fruits.
3) Avoid heavy work or strain full activity.
4) Avoid stress/anxiety & maintain genital hygiene.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor