49 years old. Started getting irregular period. Is this normal?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: I just got my period, again. I am 49 years old, and I started it today. I had gotten my period three weeks ago, and ended it two weeks ago. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 4 minutes later
At 49,you are peri-menopausal. During this period of transition to full menopause, your cycles may be irregular for months before completely ceasing. If the bleeding is moderate and not abnormal,then there is nothing to do. But if you have heavy bleeding, clots etc then you will need an ultrasound and examination to rule out pathology.