Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

48 year old. Brain stem stroke survivor. Has hep c, cirrhosis and gall stone. Will taking liv-52 help?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
Dear Doc,
My husband is 48 year old, a brain stem stroke survivor.
Has hep C, and suspected cirrohsis and a gall stone present.
He is currently on milk thistle- liver is getting better
-- will taking Liv-52 help.
Thanks for your time XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Your husband's LFT appears to be in favour of cirrhosis and exact status can be defined by ultrasound imaging.

Liver is a very tolerable organ of our body. Until unless it is 85-90% liver is damaged,it doesn't cause ny symptoms. So you should be very cautious about this fact. Little bit damage in liver is still going on.

You should consult with physician/ gastro-physician ans go for HCV RNA and HCV genotype.

Therapy for HCV is decided by genotype.

Very effective and safe medicine are now avaiable and may help your husband's health.

He must take medicine for blood pressure and avoid alcohol.

Put your query if you have.

With wishes of rapid recovery,

Best regards,

Dr.Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 48 year old. Brain stem stroke survivor. Has hep c, cirrhosis and gall stone. Will taking liv-52 help? 55 minutes later
Dr Bhargava,
would appreciate if you could advise if he can take Liv-52 tablets as a dietery supplement ( Himalaya Product)

thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 34 minutes later

Liv-52 is an ayurvedic preparation and no where mentioned in allopathic books.

Liv-52 is an extract for liver disease patient and you can give without any side effects but will never helpin complete cure of Hepatitis C.


Dr.Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor