Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

44 year old female, itchy scalp on crown of head, white flakes, redness. Treatment for scalp condition?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 466 Questions
Hi, I am a 44 year old female and I have an itchy scalp but only at the crown of my head with lots of white flakes in the scalp and there is also acute redness
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 13 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

You most probably seem to be suffering from Tinea capitis which is a fungal infection and involves only some particular part of the scalp. Other scalp infections also need to be ruled out. In Tinea capitis round scaly areas are found which are associated with itching.

Physical examination and investigation as KOH (potassium hydrochloride) mount helps in exact diagnosis.

You may consider visiting a Dermatologist for evaluation.

For treating it, various antifungal medications orally and for topical application are advised. Along with that shampoo containing Selenium sulphide is also to be applied weekly.

It is contagious so isolation is utmost important as it can spread to other family members. Kindly do not prick the scales as it can cause injury.

General hygienic measures are to be followed as no sharing of towel, clothes, combs, pillows, hair brush etc.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept the answer in case you do not have follow up query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor