41 years old with pregnancy symptoms. HPT negative. Any reason other than pregnancy?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I am 41 with pregnancy symptoms, I have taken a hp and it was negative awaiting the bloodwork - i am also a diabetic, but controlled. Constant nausea in the morning and night, but eating fine, dizziness, slight headache, lower abdominal cramping for the past two days - could this be something else other than pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Nausea, dizziness, headache can be caused by impeded blood flow through the brain. It happens when the vessels (most commonly cervical arteries) are narrow so the blood amount is not enough. Such symptoms can be also caused by heart problems, like heart failure, heart ischemia, arrhythmia.
Lower abdominal cramping can be due to intestine problems(constipations, bloating, blood in stool appears), ovarian or uterus diseases (strange bleedings can appear).
Depending of which symptoms are similar to your, you should have diagnostics.
Heart ECG, stress test, cervical arteries Ultrasound, abdominal ultrasound, trans-vaginal ultrasound, full blood work, urine analysis should be performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.