Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

41 Years old. Have facial hair under chin. Safe way for facial hair production?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 711 Questions
I am 41 Years old indian, keralite.

I have some facial hair under my chin but almost nil in my cheeks. This gives me a boyish look even in my 40's !
It causes a lot of distress to me as people don't take me seriously.

Can there be any safe way to promote my facial hair growth now?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 2 hours later
I understand your situation.

Facial hair production is usually genetically determined.

There is little that can be done really.

This may or may not be a permanent condition. I suggest you use minoxidil (Rogaine) 5% once a day for a few months and see how well it works.

A facial hair transplant can always be an option as well.

It is important that you consult with a plastic surgeon that specializes in these procedures.

Thank you for your query. Hope this answers your query.

If you have any other queries, kindly direct them to me. I hope your wishes come true.

Have a nice day.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 41 Years old. Have facial hair under chin. Safe way for facial hair production? 10 hours later
Dear Dr. Samik XXXXXXX

Thank you very much for your kind and valuable advice.

I have read that minoxidil on body areas could create serious side effects - is that true? That's why I selected Ayurveda as the preffered category.

I would like to test my testosterone level. Please prescribe me a testosterone and/or related tests.

Kind Regards,
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 5 minutes later

Minoxidil does not have serious side effects.
It only works on a temporary basis.
You can go for a serum testosterone level test.

Only facial hair transplant will provide you with a permanent cure.

Hope I was able to help you out.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor