Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

40 years old with lack of sexual desire. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 2190 Questions
I am 40 y.o. and was married 2 years ago. I don`t feel sexual desire that`s why I always remain under stiff mental depression. What should I do??
Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 6 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Lack of sexual desire (libido) can be due to a variety of causes - both medical and psychological. Medical causes include:
- diabetes
- low levels of testosterone
- other hormonal imbalances e.g. hypothyroidism, hypopitutarism, etc.
- alcohol or drug abuse or due to certain medication
- certain specific vitamin deficiencies like vit. B12
- spinal cord diseases affecting sexual functioning
- chronic pain or long-standing ailments

However, psychological causes form the majority of the causes for lack of sexual desire. They include:
- Stress - the single most important cause (which is in someway involved in about 80 % of the cases)
- Relationship difficulties, poor communication with the partner
- Psychiatric disorders like depression, PTSD, etc. Now, it is interesting to note that the relationship between depression and lack of sexual desire is two directional; that is, persistent lack of sexual desire can lead to depression and depression itself can lead to decrease in sexual desire.

The first and most important step in the management of sexual desire is a detailed evaluation. This will include a detailed medical, sexual, personal and social history, a thorough physical examination and certain investigations, as per the necessity. In your case, since you are 40 years old, I would recommend that to undergo lab investigations to chech for blood sugars, blood pressure, cholesterol levels, testosterone level, thyroid hormone levels, etc. Especially, in males, this is not the age for a natural decline sexual desire and hence any underlying medical causes have to be first ruled out. Most of these causes are reversible with appropriate treatment and will restore normal libido.

Secondly, you may need to have a psychological assessment to see if there are are any possble psychological factors like stress, depression, relattionship difficulties, etc. which could be contributing to this problem. If so, they need to be addressed and tackled; sometimes counselling sessions for the both partners may be required.

So, I would advise you to have a consultation and detailed evaluation, preferably with a psychiatrist, in order to plan further management of this problem. Don't worry, most cases of sexual desire problems are easily manageable, but the crux is in identifying the probable cause. I would also advise you to exercise regularly, avoid alcohol, smoking or any other substances, and eat a healthy, nutritious diet. Supplementation with a multivitamin - containing B-complex and C vitamins will also be a good idea.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 40 years old with lack of sexual desire. What should I do? 30 hours later
Dear sir
Thanks for answering.
Could you advise me expert psychologist and sexologist in DELHI. And how many days it takes to eliminate my problem. I am working in steel plant, jubail, saudi arabia. I have only one weeks of vacation.

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 5 hours later
Hello again,

You can consult Dr. XXXXXXX Mittal, Psychiatrist and Sexologist in Delhi. Address: Columbia Asia Clinic, Near sector 9 metro station, Opposite Toyota galaxy mall, Plot 24, Sector-20, Dwarka, New Delhi. Contact : 011-0000(for appointment) .

The time taken to tackle your problem will depend on the findings on evaluation. So, I would advise you to first have a detailed evaluation first (which should take only 2 to 3 days) and then discuss with the doctor about further plans for treatment.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor