Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

4 year old have ear infection and hearing loss. What is the cause and treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2360 Questions
My daughter who is 4 year old, she lost hearing duto bottle feeding and cold cough & fever. At the age og two and half an Ent DR found that her ear was full of wax and infection and advised for bera test. Then we had gone for ber test and found that hearing level was 105 decible. Then treatment started and after one year feb 2012 , bera test conducted and hearing level found at 50 decible (mild mixed hearing loss). Recently, during the blood test, it was traced that the level of Vitamin D is less than 9 (insufficient) and alkaline phosphate was on higher side. We consulted a child specialist who in turn advised some Vitamin D medicine cource for 3 months. Is there chance of recovery of of hearing loss after 3 months ? Which is the best ENT Hospital in India & Asia where one can find the detail reason of hearing loss and its treatment as in general Doctors/Hospitals only talk of operation or hearing aid. It appears that they are least bothered to find the reason and its treatment. Please guide me where in this world, I can find a fair hospital/doctor ?
Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query and a detailed history

First of all, I would reassure you there is no life threatening problems in your child.

Secondly, no bottle feeds in the world can cause hearing loss. Unexplained fever could have caused hearing loss (mostly neural).

50dB of hearing loss is a moderate type of hearing loss. Your child will require hearing aid for improvement of hearing. You should get her a hearing aid as soon as possible, failing which the child will fail in its clarity of speech.

There are plenty of ENT institutes in India which cater to the needy patients. All India Institute of Speech & Hearing (AIISH) in Mysore is one of the premier institutes for hearing and speech related problems. If you can tell me where you stay, I can guide you to the nearest ENT research institute.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor