4 month old baby diagnosed with Neurofibromatosis with blood test

Dr. Munish Sood

Ayurveda Specialist

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2018 in Ayurveda
Question: 4 month old baby diagnosed with Neurofibromatosis with blood test. Presented with several cafe Olay spots and freckling in arm pit. Is there any ways to best manage this genetic disorder with Ayurveda?

-Failure to thrive.
- Decreased motivation to nurse during day time hours. Mother is still nursing
- Falling behind on the growth charts.

Is this a Kapha/Vatta disorder? What can be done as an infant to help manage this disease? Can mothers milk be vehicle for herbs to help balance the imbalance caused by the disorder? Is oil message good or bad for this disorder?

Thank you
Concerned mother

Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Necessary information

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for contacting with your health query and after reviewing your health concern I’m of the following opinion:

1. The age (4 months) corresponds to type 1 NF, so at his age, as developmental milestones are delayed thus remain under regular guidance of Pediatrician, and since bony development and eye problems are frequent thus make sure to contact concerned surgeon and/or Opthalmologist frequently.

PS. As nervous system is involved, thus Pediatric Neurosurgeon advise is necessary

In Ayurveda, we classify such disease under “GRANTHI” and NF (neurofibromatosis) under ‘SIRAJ GRANTHI” where there is vitiation of all the three doshas but according to his age, VATA and KAPHA are aggravated.

2. To best manage the case, at his age ( 4 month), remain under regular supervision of your Paediatric Neurosurgeon and if medicine is to be give then it has to be given to the mother, like Kanchnaar guggulu, Arogyavardhini vati, Tulsi, Curcumin capsule and Suvarnprashan can be given to the baby.

PS. If interested in suvarnprashan, I can courier you the medicine along with necessary guidelines.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy