34 years old. Can an anal fistula cause proctitis? I

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: 34 years old. Can an anal fistula cause proctitis? I have many symtoms of proctitis that have come on in the last several weeks. about 8 weeks ago i saw a colon rectal specialist who examined me. i was ultimately diagnosed with a long standing intersphinctric fistula. the proctitis symptoms began 2-3 weeks after my exam. fistula surgery is scheduled in 6 weeks, but i am very uncomfortable now. thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing Ask a Doctor service for your query dear patient.Have gone through your details.

An anal fistula is a small tunnel that develops between the end of the bowel and the skin near the anus.While proctitis means inflammation of the inner lining of rectum and anus.Anal fistula may have bacterias,pus etc which may cause swelling.As it is an opening chances of possible inflammation are high.Hence in your case very likely fistula is the cause of proctitis.
Our body is a closed system.Once an organ or part of body is exposed to external environment infection and inflammation develops.
Till surgery is done take anti inflammatory like ibuprofen along with a laxative like lactulose.This will provide you with symptomatic relief.
Hope I was helpful,
Follow ups are welcome
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 23 minutes later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your welcome my dear.

Detailed Answer:
Hope I was helpful,
Any suggestions to make answer better are welcome,
Do rate the answer,
Happy new year and get well soon.