34 years old. Can an anal fistula cause proctitis? I
Thanks for choosing Ask a Doctor service for your query dear patient.Have gone through your details.
An anal fistula is a small tunnel that develops between the end of the bowel and the skin near the anus.While proctitis means inflammation of the inner lining of rectum and anus.Anal fistula may have bacterias,pus etc which may cause swelling.As it is an opening chances of possible inflammation are high.Hence in your case very likely fistula is the cause of proctitis.
Our body is a closed system.Once an organ or part of body is exposed to external environment infection and inflammation develops.
Till surgery is done take anti inflammatory like ibuprofen along with a laxative like lactulose.This will provide you with symptomatic relief.
Hope I was helpful,
Follow ups are welcome
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for chronic pancreatitis and recurring ribs pain
- What causes an itchy red rash around the anus?
- Suggest treatment for chronic vomiting when diagnosed with gastroenteritis
- Suggest treatment for severe pain in the ribs
- Is Rabeprazole an effective medication for reflux esophagitis?
- What causes excessive burping and abdominal pain?
- Suggest treatment for severe back pain
- Suggest natural treatment for severe acid reflux
- What causes black stool?
- What causes intermittent pain after anal fistulotomy?