33 years old. Why do I feel heavy heartbeat, lightheaded and tired?

Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Why do i have a heavy heart beat light headed and tired all the time. This has been going on for a few weeks had heart checked all test normal it all started after takin leviquin for a prostate infection which has not got better. Im only 33 years old and its like no one can help me
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical opinion in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:

• 33 year old female
• Suspected case of prostate infection.
• Complaints of: increase frequency of micturition, heavy heart beat light headed and tired all the time
.
You case is interesting and but difficult too. Even your attending physician is facing problem to solve it. I will try to give my best effort to help you in this problem.

I would like to consider multiple possibilities in following hierarchy:
• Anxiety and stress related: need to be ruled out by detailed interview by psychiatrist
• Vitamin deficiency: Get serum B12 level. Start multi vitamins, as they are easily available.
• Side effect of substance use (stop use if present)
• Thyroid related problem: get thyroid hormonal assay done. It is more common in female
• Chronic medical illness

Treatment and advice is dependent more on the cause of your problem.

Other symptoms of stress and anxiety which may or may not be present in your case: nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, palpitation and dry mouth. Let me know if you have some of these symptoms.

In prostate infection apart from frequency of micturition, patient used to have fever, burning and painful micturition. Frequency of micturition may also increase in anxiety and stress without other associated symptoms like we had disturb motion and urination pattern before exams.

Apart from above advice, following simple measures will help you:
-Decrease worrying by keeping yourself busy and distracted from worrisome thoughts by talking to family members or watching T.V. or counting back (100 to 0).
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet.
-Daily morning walk
-Breathing exercise, yoga and meditation (which you can learn from some expert in person)

If not relieved with above measures, you may require help of medicines after evaluation of above causes. Apart from that continue evaluation as advised by your physician.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal