Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

33 weeks pregnant, urinary infection, low birth weight, preterm labor, amnionitis, preeclampsia

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 84 Questions
hello doctor
i am in my 33rd week of pregnancy. i tested my urine and found 0000 cfu/ml
i am having slight discomfort and pain in the urinary point .
will it affect my baby.
my doctor has suggested altacef 500mg for 5 days 1-1.
is it enough to cure it.pls advice

Fri, 18 May 2012 in Diabetes
Follow-up: 33 weeks pregnant, urinary infection, low birth weight, preterm labor, amnionitis, preeclampsia 7 minutes later
Diabetes for past 5-6 years.
having body pain ,foot pain,hand pain,backpain.taking medications for diabetes .feeling very tired.frequent headache.
Answered by Dr. Sheetal 1 hour later

Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are one of the most common infections that occur during pregnancy. UTIs, if left untreated, may lead to infection of the kidneys (upper urinary tract). This can lead to complications such as low birth weight, premature labor, preeclampsia and amnionitis.

Your symptoms and your urine report suggest that you may be suffering from uncomplicated lower urinary tract infection.

It is unlikely that this will affect your baby.

Do take the antibiotics (Altacef) as prescribed by your doctor. The dose that is prescribed to you is enough to cure your infection.

Since you have a history of diabetes, you are more prone to develop urinary tract infections. You can reduce your chances of getting UTI by drinking plenty of water, passing urine often and wiping from front to back to prevent the spread of bacteria.

Generally, the hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy cause the joint ligaments to become more lax. This ligament laxity may cause body pain and joint pain. However, if your pain persists or becomes bothersome, I would advise you to consult your gynecologist.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor