32 years old. Suggest some medication or diet to increase weight

Dr. Aparna Amritsagar

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: hello doctor
i am male 32, from INDIA. my main problem is iam under weight. my present weight is 50 kgs. my wist size is 26. my height is 5feet 8inches. from child hood iam lean and my weight is maintained like this. but i need to increase my weight as per my height with in one month. because my marriage is arranged. It is my life and death situation to that i have to increase my weight at-least another 15 kgs in one month. my medical history i did not have any chronic diseases, i am active, but i look lean very thin. please suggest me any medicines or food which can increase my weight in one month. my blood group is A+ve , my hemoglobin percent is 14.5 ,my twbc count is 9900,trbc count is 4.4,platelet count is 2.31 lakhs/ cumm.
so please suggest me to increase my weight, i am working as an engineer in a power industry.

thank you ,
regards,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 48 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
According to your weight & height which you had mentioned your BMI is 16.7, which fall in underweight category. Set realistic goals. You can’t increase 15 kg of weight in one month’s time. Weight gain take long time & is a tiring process since you have being under weight since your childhood. But you can make consistent efforts can help you to increase weight by following things-
Eat six times a day-Eating three meals plus three snacks is often the easiest ways to add extra calories into the day.
Each meal should include a source of protein such as lean meat, poultry, fish, egg whites, legumes, tofu and dairy products. Protein is needed for bone health, a strong immune system and to help recover from illness.
Carbohydrates are also essential to any weight gain plan. Without enough carbohydrate calories, the body uses some protein for energy purposes rather than directing it to muscle development.
Healthy carbs such as whole-grain cereals and breads, brown rice, whole-wheat pasta, sweet potato and fruit should be included in all meals and snacks Eating a bedtime snack can also help promote weight gain. Healthy choices include toast and nut butter, crackers and part-skim cheese, and whole-grain cereal with milk or soy beverage.
Add healthy fats
Fat is a concentrated source of calories providing roughly 120 calories a tablespoon. Adding heart-healthy unsaturated fats to meals is an easy way to sneak in calories without adding bulk, which can make you feel too full.
Include nuts and seeds
Nuts and seeds are calorie- and nutrient-dense, making them a great way to get substantial calories for a relatively small portion size. One half-cup of nuts, for example, delivers roughly 400 to 500 calories. Snack on raw or dry roasted nuts with dried fruit.
Make liquid calories count
Drinking 100-per-cent fruit juice with meals and/or snacks adds calories and nutrients. Pomegranate, cranberry, blueberry and purple grape juice are also good sources of antioxidants.
Be consistent on the weekend
To keep your calorie intake up – and prevent losing a pound or two over the weekend – stick to your meal and snack schedule as much as possible.
Add exercise
Even though exercise burns calories, it’s important to include strength training and cardiovascular exercises in your weekly routine to build and maintain muscle strength and keep your bones strong.
I hope i have answered your query. In case you have any further question i will be happy to help you.